Do you suffer from dry skin? This problem can occur anywhere on the body, and it can lead to itching or even cracking. This article will review the reasons why it develops, and the best skin care routine for dry skin.
What Causes Dry Skin?
Dry skin can be mild, and it can also be more severe. Common causes include weather that is overly hot or cold or too little hydration in the air. Dry skin tends to be most common in the winter when the climate lacks moisture.
However, according to the Mayo Clinic, extra heat can also lead to dry skin resulting from heaters, wood-burning stoves, and fireplaces. Hot baths and showers can also cause dry skin. In addition, certain products you use could lead to dry skin, like specific detergents and shampoos.
Your age is also a factor. As you get older, less oil is produced in the skin and this increases the chance of dryness. Additionally, having a skin condition such as eczema or contact dermatitis may go along with dry skin.
Clearly, one of the solutions for dry skin is figuring out the cause and changing the behavior leading to the issue. Another is following a healthy skin care routine for dry skin. In addition, there are certain things you should never do if you have dry skin.
Things to Bypass if Your Skin Is Dry
There are certain practices that can worsen dry skin, and you should avoid them. Some of these include:
- 1. Forgetting to Moisturize – You should be moisturizing at least twice a day. This is a key component of your skincare routine for dry skin, and you must also do it if you have normal skin. Moisturizing prevents your skin from drying out and protects it from harmful bacteria.
- 2. Not Drinking Enough Water – If you don’t drink enough water daily, it can dehydrate your skin. Try for at least 7 or 8 glasses of water every day. This will hydrate your skin and improve the dryness.
- 3. Avoid Using the Wrong Products – If you have dry skin, you should avoid products with fragrance, alcohol, and soap. There are a number of soap-free items, organic creams, and other products on the market that will be easier on your skin.
- 4. Don’t Scratch Your Skin – If you have itchy skin, avoid scratching it at all costs, says Harvard Health Publishing. Instead, apply moisturizer to the area to get rid of the itch. Scratching the skin can make dryness much worse.
What Are Good Remedies for Dry Skin?
The best remedy for dry skin is to moisturize twice a day, morning, and night. This will keep the skin constantly hydrated and protect it from harmful bacteria. It should be part of your regular skin care routine for dry skin. You should apply the cream right after bathing when your skin is still damp.
The American Academy of Dermatology suggests that you use warm water in your bath, and limit your washing time to 5-10 minutes. In addition, they advise you to close the door to the bathroom when you’re washing so the moisture will remain and enhance your skin.
Another useful suggestion for eliminating dry skin is using a humidifier in your bedroom when you sleep at night. This will steep the room in moisture which will absorb into your skin.
Skin Routine for Dryness
If you suffer from dryness, you should follow a strict skin care routine for dry skin which includes high-quality, hydrating products such as the following:
- 1. Hydrating Cleanser – You should begin every morning and evening by applying a good, very deeply hydrating cleanser that gets rid of dead skin cells and bacteria on your face without drying it out.
- 2. Hydrating Toner – A toner after cleansing your face can provide extra moisture, while also shrinking the pores and removing extra dirt and oil. It can also refresh your skin.
- 3. Exfoliant – Someone with dry skin should use a chemical exfoliant, as it’s the best way to eliminate the dryness. Look for one with alpha-hydroxy acids that hydrate the skin without removing the existing liquid. You should add an exfoliant to your skin care routine for dry skin about once a week. More often is too harsh for the skin.
- 4. Facial Moisturizer – It’s crucial for people with dry skin to use a good quality moisturizer twice a day, to keep the skin properly hydrated. Do not skip this step whether you are prone to dry skin or not.
- 5. Eye Cream – The skin around the eyes is a particularly vulnerable region because it’s so thin. You should include an eye cream in your routine to hydrate this region and protect it from getting dry.
- 6. Body Lotion – Dry skin isn’t always focused on your face and around your eyes. It can develop anywhere in the body, especially if you’re prone to it. Include a rich, hydrating lotion in your routine and spread it all over your body once or twice a day.
Frequently Asked Question
1] What products should I use on dry skin every day?
If you have dry skin, you should cleanse your face, use toner, exfoliate, and moisturize twice a day. In addition, use body lotion all over your skin once or twice each day.
2] What is ideal skin care?
Ideal skincare means you take excellent care of your skin daily, keeping it cleansed, exfoliated, and moisturized. Use products that are hydrating to the skin, and that suit your type. For the best skin care, see a dermatologist and find out your skin type. Then buy products that suit you.
3] Should I use toner if I have dry skin?
Yes, you certainly should. This will help give the skin extra hydration as well as eliminating oils from the pores. Pick a toner which has extra hydration included.
4] How can I prevent dry skin?
There are a few ways to get rid of dry skin. First, make sure you drink an adequate amount of water each day. Use moisturizer twice daily, as well as a body lotion. Protect your skin when the weather is harsh outside and use extra lotion. In addition, wear sunscreen to prevent damage from the sun’s rays. Finally, take warm baths or showers and limit it to 5-10 minutes.
5] What can dry skin be a sign of?
Dry skin can occur for many reasons. It may indicate a skin condition like eczema, or it could occur if the temperature outside is too hot or cold. It could be a sign that you don’t drink enough water, or it could also mean that you don’t take adequate care of your skin.
The Final Word
Dry skin is a big concern for many people, but it doesn’t have to be. If you take good care of your skin and use high-level, very hydrating skincare products, you can eliminate dryness.
There are other techniques as well, such as protecting yourself from harsh weather and taking short, warm baths that won’t be as hard on your skin. If you follow these tips, it should lead to moist, smooth skin without dryness.