- Over 1 million Americans spend time at a tanning salon each day. They seem oblivious to the fact that just 20 minutes in a tanning booth is the same as spending an entire day on the beach.
- There is no denying a tan can look healthy and attractive.
- Unfortunately, when the tan fades and the holiday fun is over, you will be asking – how to remove tan?
- We have fabulous, natural ways to start gently fading your beach tan that will add health and revitalization to your skin.
- There are some fruits and veggies that you can naturally ingest to bring out a natural “tan” to your skin!
We all know how glorious it is to be in the sun; how much better it makes us feel. It increases the feel-good serotonin levels in our bodies.
Tanning has been considered for a long time now as a sign of wellbeing. A 20-minute session in a tanning booth is almost equivalent to one whole day of sun exposure. It was Coco Chanel who made the “healthy glow” so popular in the 20th Century. And it has continued to be high in demand ever since. But unfortunately, more truths about tanning have arisen since those early days. Today, top a dermatologist like Carolyn Jacob says, “There’s no way to get a ‘healthy tan’ other than a spray tan.” When the holiday is over and the cold weather comes along, it’s then that we want to find out how to remove tan.
We will show you some natural ways you can do it!
What Is Tanning?
Going on holiday, swimming, and playing in the sun – by the time you go home, you hope that you will be looking at the picture of health with your bronzed, fit-looking body. That’s what tanning is. But getting exposed to too much sun these days can be dangerous. Tanning by the sun and sunbeds is classified as skin damage.
What Are The Causes Of Skin Tanning?
- UVA radiation – The UVA rays of the sun penetrate the lowest layers of the epidermis. This triggers the melanocytes to produce melanin. It’s melanin that protects your skin from the burning rays of the sun.
- Sunbeds – Sunbeds can get you a lovely tan in a short amount of time. Many people know the dangers of outdoor tanning. Only a few people seem to realize that exposure to a sunlamp or a tanning bed is now listed as a “known human carcinogen” by the World Health Organization.
- Too much iron – Excess iron deposits can cause the skin to change color and look tanned or bronze in color.
- Pregnancy – Sometimes when you are pregnant, blotchy dark skin can occur. It’s called melasma. After birth, changes in skin pigmentation usually disappear.
- Diseases – There are some autoimmune diseases, like lupus erythematosus and Graves’s disease that can attack the skin. This can cause the skin to darken or lighten.
- What you eat – What you put into your body is equally as important as what you put on your body, period. Eating lots of veggies and fruits that are orange or yellow can give you a natural tan.
10 Home Remedies On How To Remove Tan
Just apply some buttermilk to your skin. The lactic acid in buttermilk helps you shed the upper layer of your skin, the epidermis. This helps to show fresh skin underneath.
2. Turmeric paste
Since ancient times, turmeric has been used as a powerful spice to both ingest and use as a skin product. The curcumin in turmeric can help you inhibit the production of melanin. Take some yogurt and water and mix it with turmeric to form a paste. Apply it on your skin twice a week and allow it to dry before washing it off. It helps to get rid of sun tan naturally.
3. Honey, yogurt, and orange
The peels of Seville oranges can be very effective in removing stubborn skin tan. There is an enzyme in the peels that boost melanin production, easing hyperpigmentation. Grind some dried peels of the orange, combining it with yogurt and honey – make a smooth paste. Then apply it on your skin and allow it to rest for a while before peeling it off. Repeat this twice a week to get rid of your suntan naturally.
4. Crushed watermelon
There is glutathione in watermelon that is an excellent antioxidant. It boosts melanin production in the body. Research suggests that crushed watermelon, used topically, is rather helpful in removing leftover stubborn skin tan naturally. So you crush some watermelon, scrubbing it over your skin for the best results.
5. Sandalwood powder and rose water
Sandalwood powder and rose water together are very helpful to remove stubborn suntan. Just mix the two ingredients to form a paste of a smooth consistency. Put in the freezer for about 10 minutes. After it is dried, wash it off.
6. Cucumber and lemon juice
Cucumber and lemon juices help lighten tanned skin naturally. Mix the cucumber juice with two teaspoons of lemon juice, applying it to your face for about 10 minutes. Then wash it off.
7. Lemon juice and honey
Lemon juice has a bleaching effect, and honey has antibacterial properties. Take the juice of fresh lemon and add some honey to it and apply it to your face. Leave this mixture on for about 30 minutes before washing it off. Some people like to add sugar to the lemon juice and then scrub gently to slough off old skin.
8. Yogurt and tomato
Tomato is rich in antioxidants. This helps to brighten your skin. Yogurt has lactic acid to help soften the skin. Remove the skin of raw tomato and add to blender with 2 teaspoons of yogurt. Spread over your face and neck and wash it off after 20 minutes.
9. Potato juice
Potato juice has been used for many years to lighten, a way on how to remove tan and eliminate dark circles under the eyes, and it’s naturally soothing. Either liquidize the potato or blend the peeled potato and gently pat this over your skin, washing it off after about 10 minutes.
10. Honey and papaya
Papaya has natural enzymes that help with skin bleaching and exfoliation. Just take about four cubes of papaya. Make sure it is ripe. Add a teaspoon of honey and mash the papaya and honey together to form a smooth paste. Apply over your tanned skin and wash it after 30 minutes of drying on your skin.
Remedies To Avoid
- Just remember the lemon juice that we have mentioned above on how to remove tan should always be mixed or diluted with other ingredients and not used undiluted on the skin. That will burn!
- Don’t use unnatural stuff that you find at the stores to lighten your skin unless you get full advice from your doctor.
- Don’t use bleaching agents.
Best Quick Ways To Prevent Getting Burned And Tanned
- When you are out at the hottest hour, walk in the shade
- Cover yourself up if you want protection from the sun
- Apply sunscreen to protect your skin
- Remember to keep your lips well protected too
- Wear UV protected sunglasses
- Choose sun-friendly cosmetics
- Stay hydrated
- Follow a diet that makes you immune to the sun
Even though 2021 has been a year filled with lots of uncertainty, with the coronavirus. Many people want to start 2022 with a bang, and that means looking healthy, tanned, and on top of your game. What more positive way than to start 2022?
Be aware that there are tanning trends for 2021. These trends are not about lazy, hazy days spent lying in the sun! They are all about self-tanning that fits into your lifestyle, leading to fast tanning results, which don’t compromise your beauty regime at all. Remember that your faux tan does not provide UV protection. You still need sunscreen, and if you plan to be out in the sun for an extended time, use nothing less than an SPF 30 or higher. Don’t think that just because you have young skin as well, that it will stand up to the sun – after all, you are having a great time with friends in the surf and sun, right? Remember to make sure that you cover your body with the highest SPF you can find. Believe it, you don’t want to look old before your time! But at least we have provided you with some great products on how to remove tan and health foods as well – all meant to soothe and pamper your skin – so start today.