A wardrobe is a reflection of your style, individual aesthetics, and personality. The arrival of summer means it is time to remove those comfy sweaters and boots from your closet and give your closet a summer makeover.
For most fashion-savvy people, the start of a new season brings endless possibilities to upgrade your wardrobe and add trendy new pieces. Depending on your own aesthetic, a summer wardrobe is incomplete without airy dresses, linen blouses, flowy skirts, and funky shorts.
As exciting as it is to transform your wardrobe for the summers, it can be a daunting task to give your closet a makeover. Breaking it down into steps and organizing your closet can make the process fun and easy. We have gathered some tips for you to achieve the ideal summer closet.
1. Declutter your closet
The start of a new season is a good time to sort out your closet. Take out all the clothes in your closet and give away everything you don’t need. If you haven’t worn something for more than a year, it’s better to give it away to charity or sell it for recycling. Decluttering will free up space for newer, trendier items fit for the summer season.
2. Find inspiration for your summer style
Pinterest is a good place to look for inspiration. You can search and save the dresses and outfits you like for inspiration. These items get saved in a board that you can easily go through to get an idea of what kind of summer outfits you want to flaunt this season.
It is a good starting point if you are aiming to shop for new clothes for the season. It will also give you ideas to piece together an outfit using existing items in your closet.
3. Organize your closet
Arranging is essential for giving your closet a summer makeover. Take out everything from it and your storage. Make a pile of clothes you want to give away and put them in a box. Also, create a separate pile of clothes that can’t be worn in summers and store them away in garment bags.
Now pick out the clothes that are suitable for summer and pile them up based on color or style. For instance, make individual piles for skirts, formal shirts, beachwear, party wear, dresses, pants, and jeans.
You can neatly place these piles in different sections of the cupboard. Besides, you can hang the clothes in your closet that you think you will be wearing often.
4. Look out for linen and cotton outfits
Depending on how hot it gets in your area, choose clothes that are made of a light material, which can help you stay cool outdoors. Some clothing materials suitable for the summer are:
- Cotton – Cotton is a soft, breathable material that feels light on the body. One downside of this fabric is that it wrinkles easily. Garments made of the cotton-polyester blend are a good alternative since they wrinkle much less.
- Linen – Linen is another summer-friendly natural plant fabric that absorbs sweat. In addition to being highly absorbent, it also releases moisture quickly. It allows air to flow, keeping you cool in hot weather. This fabric is stronger and more durable than cotton. Wear a pair of linen pants with a crop top for a casual look fit for alfresco dining in the summers.
- Denim/ Chambray – Denim is a fabric manufactured from tightly woven cotton, making it a breathable, absorbent fabric. Despite having properties similar to cotton, denim is a heavier fabric, but blue denim jeans with a gingham top still scream summer. A much lighter version of denim is chambray, which is a trendy fabric available in many styles fit for a casual outfit.
- Rayon – Rayon is a silky smooth, synthetic fabric made from a blend of cotton, wood pulp, and other materials. It has extremely thin fibers, making it a very light material fit for the summer months.
5. Summer trends this year
We have gathered some styles suitable for the summer:
- White dress with tan slippers – No summer closet is complete without a dreamy white dress. There are several designs available on the market, from midi cotton frocks to long linen dresses. A white dress is a versatile piece that can be styled in many different ways.
- Crop tops – These short shirts are a summer staple that can be worn with midi skirts, shorts, and high waist jeans. Some styles to look out for include a smocked waist, square neck, and puffed sleeves.
- Skirts – Breezy skirts are perfect for the summer. Get one in a color that can be paired with different tops. A slip skirt is a timeless piece that looks effortless and elegant.
- Floral dress – Floral dresses always look beautiful, which can have different colors and prints.
- Tank tops – Tanks tops are gaining popularity and go well with all kinds of bottoms.
- Accessories – Colorful hair crunchies, hair bands, and ties are trending quite a bit, adding a vintage look to any outfit.
- Strappy sandals and heels – Strappy sandals are always summer-friendly and available in a wide range of styles, from funky colors to elegant heels.
6. Time to shop
It can be tempting to go crazy when you see so many new summer collections being released. Have a look at these tips before you break the bank to upgrade your closet:
- Figure out what your aesthetic is – Having a signature style makes it easy to buy new clothes. This includes the frequently worn styles and colors that you love the most and feel comfortable wearing.
- Keep a list of your go-to shops – Exploring all the available shops and brands can be tiresome and confusing. Having a list of stores in mind that have clothes that match your style makes it easier to shop.
- Buy versatile items – Ideally, whenever you buy a new clothing item, you should be able to pair it with different essentials to create multiple outfits. Otherwise, you may have many awesome items and still feel like you have nothing to wear.
- Don’t settle for less – Don’t be fooled by the temptation of promotions and sales. If you spend hours browsing and still can’t find something you love, there’s no need to buy it and regret it later. Be patient when you go shopping. The right item will show up eventually.
There are so many different styles and colors that you can flaunt in summer. Whichever style you choose to wear, always look for clothes that are comfortable enough to wear in hot summers. While you shop for new outfits, don’t forget to organize your closet and declutter it to make space for new items. A tidy closet that is organized in different categories makes it much easier to select an outfit.