- Dry hair can be genetic, hormonal, or caused by a series of factors like usage of poor-quality hair care products, excessive washing, hair dying, or frequent styling.
- Olive oil contains many essential nutrients and acts as an extraordinary natural conditioner for dry hair.
- Coconut oil, avocado oil, and sandalwood oil are all great alternatives to olive oil; each can be used in more than one way to restore hair moisture: for scalp massage, hair mask, and hair treatment.
- A mayonnaise-based hair mask is ideal for fragile hair because it creates a protective layer of protein that captures moisture within.
- Bananas are rich in potassium, which is very beneficial for improving hair elasticity.
Is your hair dry, brittle, and lacking in vitality? Do you have split ends? Is your hair difficult to brush and feels rough to the touch? If your answer is “yes” to all these questions, then know that your hair is damaged.
Dry and brittle hair is common in people of all ages. It is no different for men and women. Although dry hair can be an annoying problem, it is usually not a serious health issue.
In this article, we are going to look at the causes of damaged hair and what you can do to get in back in shape.
We are also going to provide you the easiest “recipes” of home remedies for damaged hair that you can start using right away.
What Causes Damaged Hair?
The reasons for which both men and women deal with dry hair may be very diverse, from hair care mistakes to hormonal imbalances. In most cases, these are the causes of damaged hair:
- Minerals and vitamin deficiency
- Inappropriate hair care products
- Aggressive hair washing and brushing
- Excessive sun exposure
- Frequent exposure to chlorinated water (swimming pool)
- Hair dyeing
- Frequent styling under the influence of heat.
Best Home Remedies for Damaged Hair
Proper hair care and the use of quality hair products may prevent hair drying. Here are 10 home remedies for damaged hair to fight dull hair and restore its health and shine.
1. Hot Olive Oil Treatment
Rich in vitamin E, fatty acids, and softening emollients like squalene and oleic acid, olive oil restores moisture to dry hair by sealing the cuticles of the outer layer of hair with a greasy film .
Olive oil is one of the best home remedies for damaged hair that can be used to strengthen, add shine, or rehydrate very dry hair.
How to prepare it:
- Put oil in a bowl to cover all your hair.
- Heat the oil lightly in the microwave.
- Apply warm oil on the entire scalp and length of the hair, massaging lightly for 10 minutes.
- Cover your head with a warm towel and let the oil act for at least 30 minutes, then wash as usual using a shampoo and conditioner for dry hair.
2. Avocado Oil Treatment
We know all about the health benefits of eating avocado, but what about using avocado oil to repair damaged hair ? Avocado oil contains saturated fats, vitamins A and E, proteins, and minerals, all of which are very great for damaged hair.
How to prepare an avocado oil mask:
- Peel a well-ripened avocado and pass it well.
- Add a teaspoon of wheat germ oil and a teaspoon of jojoba oil, then mix until you get a fine paste.
- Apply the mixture on freshly washed hair from roots to tips and cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave the mask on for half an hour and then wash thoroughly with warm water and dry hair shampoo.
3. Eggs, Olive Oil, and Honey Nourishing Hair Mask
The mix of eggs, olive oil, and honey in a single nourishing and regenerating hair mask is ideal in your journey to repair damaged hair.
You may add this delicious treatment to your hair care routine and you will soon observe soft and silky hair.
How to prepare it:
- Mix 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and one tablespoon of honey until you get a nice mix.
- Apply the mixture on damp hair and scalp, massaging lightly.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave the mask on for 30 minutes.
- Wash with dry hair shampoo and cold water.
4. Egg White Mask
Egg white can be incorporated into the hair care routine of dry and damaged hair, being an excellent source of protein and lecithin .
Eggs are rich in healthy fats, amino acids, and vitamins and help protect the hair against sun damage and pollution, providing smoothness and shine even to brittle hair. Egg white-based masks are widely used in home remedies for damaged hair treatments.
How to prepare it:
- Beat an egg white with two tablespoons of warm water.
- Apply the mask on the scalp and wet hair, massaging for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and then wash as usual, using a shampoo and conditioner for dry hair.
5. Mayo Mask
Mayonnaise is an incredibly effective mask to repair damaged hair because it contains proteins and oils that help hair become soft and shiny again.
Study shows that mayo may be also used as a natural treatment against head lice.
You can use mayonnaise made from a raw egg, without mustard and salt.
How to prepare it:
- Apply a thick layer of mayonnaise on damp hair and scalp.
- Massage the mayo well on the scalp and then spread it well along the entire length of the hair.
- Cover your head and hair with a shower cap and let the mayonnaise act for about an hour.
- Rinse the mayonnaise well with warm water and then wash as usual with shampoo and conditioner for dry hair.
6. Pumpkin Conditioner Mix
Pumpkin is a natural hair moisturizer, packed with vitamins that have proven benefits for hair growth .
Add this pumpkin conditioner mask to your hair care routine:
- Cut a slice of pumpkin, peel it, and boil the core for 20 minutes.
- After boiling, pass the pumpkin well until you get a soft paste.
- Add one tablespoon of whole yogurt, one tablespoon of honey, and one tablespoon of coconut oil, then mix well.
- Apply the paste onto your hair and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse well and wash your hair with dry hair shampoo.
Use this mask weekly and your hair will become more hydrated, resistant, and shinier.
7. Ripe Banana Hair Treatment
Bananas are another great ingredient to repair damaged hair. Bananas’ high potassium content  and moisturizing properties help prevent split ends, soften hair, and increase elasticity.
How to use it:
- Pass a very ripe banana.
- Massage the hair well with the obtained paste from roots to tips.
- Let it work for about an hour and then rinse your hair well with warm water.
Apply this treatment weekly for visible results.
8. Hair Shine with Beer
Beer proteins help repair hair cuticles and nourish hair follicles, which make hair shiny and silky . For best results, use beer as follows:
- Wash your hair as usual, then apply a small amount of beer onto your hair, preferably with a spray.
- Allow your hair to dry naturally without using a hair dryer. When the hair is dry you will notice that it is smoother and shinier.
Don’t worry about the smell: once the hair dries, the smell disappears.
9. Sandalwood Oil Deep Conditioner
Less popular than olive oil, aromatic sandalwood oil can be a perfect ingredient for treating dry hair and stimulating hair growth .
How to use it:
- Mix one tablespoon of sandalwood oil with one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Apply the mixture along the entire length of the hair, gently massaging the oil on the hair.
- Put on a shower cap and leave the oils on for 1-2 hours.
- Wash with a dry hair shampoo.
You can also use this mixture to tame rebellious hair. Apply just a few drops in the palms, rub your palms together, and then smooth the rebellious strands.
10. Coconut Oil for Split Ends
Rich in vitamins, minerals, and various nutrients, coconut oil has unique properties that help increase the resistance of hair, shine, softening and restoring the balance of the scalp, and at the same time, preventing dandruff and oily or dry hair .
Here is how to use coconut oil in your hair care routine:
- Apply the oil on dry or damp hair immediately after washing.
- Take a small amount of oil in your palms and apply it gently on the ends of the hair without rubbing.
- Leave on for 45-60 minutes or overnight. You can also apply it in the morning, but make sure you do not apply too much.
Useful Tips to Protect Damaged Hair
Earlier in this article, we’ve shared the causes of damaged hair. Now, it’s time to look at different ways you can protect your hair from becoming dry and dull:
- Do not brush hair when it’s wet as it is more sensitive and breaks more easily.
- To untangle wet hair, use a comb with thick teeth, and don’t forget to always start with the tips.
- Avoid hot showers because hot water damages and dries both the hair and the scalp.
- Keep your hair dryer at a distance of at least 15 cm from your head. If you just need to fix your hairstyle, use cold air.
- Cut your split ends to stimulate the circulation of oxygen to the hair and stimulate growth.
- Protect your hair from the damaging effects of swimming pool chlorine by using a swim cap as recommended by the American Academy of Dermatology Association.
Damaged hair is a problem that both women and men face at one point in their lives. Even though genetics play an important role in determining hair health, proper lifestyle habits may also be beneficial.
Fortunately, a proper grooming routine, avoiding heat treatments, using masks and nourishing oils as described in the above home remedies for damaged hair, as well as avoiding excessive washing will help you get that healthy, shiny, and hydrated hair in no time.
References1] ↑ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5877547/
2] ↑ https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10408398.2011.556759
3] ↑ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5315033/
4] ↑ https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2014/549721/
5] ↑ https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Potassium-Consumer/
6] ↑ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11093684/
7] ↑ https://www.researchgate.net/publication/286681616_Effects_of_Sandalwood_Oil_on_Aspects_of_Hair_Growth_in_a_C57BL6_Mouse_Model_of_Alopecia
8] ↑ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12715094/